SunSafe Student Ambassador Program
Ensuring teenagers are aware of the danger of melanoma and the importance of sun safety is the mission of an educational program run by Melanoma Institute Australia, in partnership with Cancer Council and Sydney Local Health District.
Selected secondary schools have been invited to participate in the SunSafe Student Ambassador Program. The comprehensive one-day program trains representative students in the importance of sun safety and how to deliver an engaging presentation. The students then go back to their schools and, using the skills they have learned, deliver a sun safety presentation to their peers.
The program is designed to meet learning outcomes for Years 8 and 9 PDHPE curriculum. Students (and their accompanying teachers) learn about:
- What is melanoma and why should I care?
- Preventing melanoma and what I can do about it
- Presentation Skills: 101
Students also develop their public speaking skills through a workshop where they craft their personalised sun safe presentation which they then deliver to their peers at school.
Selection criteria for student representatives:
- Students must be nominated by their school. We are looking for 2-3 confident, well-spoken students from each school in Years 8 or 9.
- Students must be willing to present to their grade before the end of the school year.
- A teacher must accompany the students for the program.
- Teachers must be willing to co-ordinate the follow up required after the presentation.
- We ask that the school records the presentation and sends it to us to be judged by a panel of experts to decide which school has the best presentation with the most impact on their students.
“The day was well organised and certainly an inspiring opportunity for all of these students to learn more about melanoma and how they can make a difference as SunSafe Ambassadors. The combination of appropriately pitched information along with developing their presentation skills was great. The 3 students whom I accompanied were certainly very positive about today and were chatting enthusiastically about the event on our train trip back and are looking forward to polishing their presentation so they can share this with their year group next term as well as with Year 7. They also have some other ideas for promoting sun safety at Arden which they are going to present to the SRC. “ - Jo Webb, Year 10 Co-ordinator, Arden
“Absolutely brilliant format throughout the day. Engaging and informative speakers in the first session prior to morning tea. The presentation coach Kat was exceptional. I will strongly recommend this program to other schools.” - Wayne Inwood, Head of Knox Junior Academy, Knox Grammar School
Unfortunately the SunSafe Student Ambassador Program has been postponed until 2022. If you are interested in being contacted about future SunSafe workshops, please let us know using the form below.