Opinion: Fighting the Resistance
25 August 2016
Jane Cadzow’s Good Weekend feature quite rightly celebrates the advent of immunotherapies in cancer treatment and the results these are delivering for patients especially, but not only, in melanoma.
However, like a palimpsest there is another story underneath which must be revealed. This feature just touches on it: resistance. If immunotherapies have emerged as the promised land for cancer patients, then resistance is its border crossing. Currently, we have no way of knowing who will successfully make it across the border and why. These ‘wonder drugs’ only work for 70% of patients. The other 30% do not respond at all. Similarly, targeted therapies, which block the action of a particular mutated gene, work initially in 95% of patients but 70% will develop resistance over time.
Nowhere have immunotherapies demonstrated greater success than in treatment of advanced melanoma. Previously, melanoma was the cancer no one wanted to have because the only treatment was surgery and that only worked if diagnosed early. Today through our clinical trials program at Melanoma Institute Australia, we are achieving remarkable results with patients with advanced melanoma which has spread to other organs. Their one-year survival rate in 2011 was 25%. It is now 75%. Their two-year survival rate is over 50%. It used to be less than 15%.
The next frontier in cancer research is unlocking the mystery of resistance and how to overcome it, as well as developing the ability to accurately predict an individual’s response to therapies. The vast array of samples held in our BioSpecimen Bank, the largest in melanoma in the world, are enabling this research. Liquid biopsies are being developed with bloods as early predictors of therapeutic outcome. Tissue donated whilst on therapy is being used to examine both the tumour genome and its micro-environment to discover the drivers of resistance.
Resistance is the story in cancer today, and an even more significant narrative in other tumours than in melanoma. As drugs developed for melanoma are now leading the way, it is our aspiration that in short order it will be melanoma research which surmounts the obstacle of resistance to truly enable precision medicine for cancers: the right therapy for the right person, at the right time and in the right dose, so we really can claim cure.
Chief Executive Officer
Melanoma Institute Australia
The 2021 Australasian Melanoma Conference (AMC2021) will held in Sydney, Australia.
A re-cap of the wonderful, and often very creative, community fundraising initiatives over the April to June quarter.
Our patients who donate their tissue samples and records to our research are helping to make a difference to the lives of future melanoma patients.
MIA researchers have recently been awarded two competitive funding grants, which will help facilitate their ground-breaking work in melanoma research.
Melanoma survivor Matt Kean is doing a 1000km bike ride around the Riverina this October, to increase awareness of melanoma and raise funds for Amie St Clair Melanoma - MIA. There are many ways you can be part of this life-changing ride!
Celebrate the 10th anniversary of Amie St Clair Melanoma at the Annual Ball in Wagga Wagga!
Riverina patients gain access to potentially life saving immunotherapy treatment close to home.
MIA's Prof Scolyer has been appointed as an Officer (AO) of the Order of Australia.
In a breakthrough which could extend to the treatment of other cancers, a new immune checkpoint inhibitor has proven effective in helping save the lives of advanced melanoma patients.
Whilst our research and clinical teams are trialling new treatments to save lives, it is our nurses who are on the front line providing care and support.
The easing of COVID restrictions has meant the return of community events, and we recognise the generous support of our community fundraisers.
Melanoma patients and their carers are being urged to participate in a ground-breaking survey which will shape the future of melanoma treatment, research, support and funding in Australia.
We have been buoyed by the wonderful support for our Melanoma March campaign, and our mission to cover Australia in footprints continues into April!
There was a wonderful feeling of community support amongst the melanoma patients, families and friends at the WA Melanoma Community Form.
The Price family has decided to share their story to inspire Australians to support research into new melanoma treatments.
New research has provided evidence in favour of a structured skin surveillance program for high-risk melanoma patients.
Melanoma research saved Bert's life at 101 and now he wants to give back.
A new MIA online risk calculator for clinicians can determine the likelihood of thin melanoma spreading.