How do I protect my skin?
Overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) light causes 95% of melanoma. The best way to prevent melanoma is to protect your skin from the sun by following the five sun safe rules:
Seek shade, especially in the hottest part of the day.
Wear sun-protective clothing that covers your back, shoulders,
Wear a broad-brimmed hat.
Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 50+ every 2 hours and after swimming or exercise.
Wear wrap-around sunglasses.
What is the best type of sunscreen?
In Australia, we have very strict guidelines for sunscreen. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 50+ every two hours and after swimming or exercise. The following points will help you ensure that you get the best
- Use the sunscreen with the highest
possibleSPF. This is currentlySPF50+ in Australia.
- Ensure your sunscreen is
broad-spectrum. This means itprotects you against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Typically, we only use 25-50% of the amount of sunscreen we need to
be protected, often missing entire areas of our bodies. When too little sunscreen is applied, it reduces the sun protection factor significantly, e.g. SPF30+ may only work as SPF10.
- Ensure that all exposed skin
is thoroughly coveredwith sunscreen.
- If you are in the water, ensure you use a water-resistant variety of sunscreen and re-apply regularly, at least every two-hours.
All sunscreens on the Australian market
How do I know when to reapply my sunscreen?
You can purchase sunscreen reminder stickers called
How to use
- Adhere sticker firmly to clothing, hat or back of hand. Sticker
does not need tobe in contact with skin. If applying to skin ensure skin is dry, clean and free of sunscreen.
- Apply sunscreen liberally and evenly to sticker and all exposed skin 15
–20 minutes before sun exposure or getting wet.
- When the sticker
begins to turnblue, this is your reminder to reapply sunscreen to your skin and the sticker at the same time. When sufficient sunscreen is reappliedto the sticker, it will change back to the starting colour.
- Reapply sunscreen as needed following step 3.
- After one day’s use, gently remove
stickerand dispose in a recycling bin.
For more information about